So this was my first attempt at Chicken Pot Pie. I found a recipe and thought– I can do this!
- 2 pie crusts (1 is necessary, I liked having 2 for the flavor
- A reasonable number of sliced up carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- Sliced mushrooms- 1 1/2 cups, more if desired
- 2 cloves garlic- minced
- 1 cup peas (I used frozen- super easy)
- 1/2 c flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken
Here’s how it went:
In the afternoon I planned on making the crust from scratch… Well, that didn’t go as planned and I didn’t have enough time on my lunch break, so I ended up using refrigerated dough. Worked like a charm! Click here for my pie crust recipe
Preheated the oven to 375 degrees. Baked one crust on the bottom of the pie plate with my weights and set aside to cool.
In the pie:
- I took some carrots, celery, 2tbs. butter, mushrooms, peas, and garlic and cooked in a pot. The recipe called for 15 minutes– I did it about 5 and moved to a bowl, I was really hungry.
- Next, I melted 6tbs butter in the same pot, added the flour, stirred for 2 minutes. I poured in all the chicken stock and mixed. Then I poured in wine, recipe called for half a cup… I just eyeballed it and it probably amounted to a little bit more than that. Then, of course, I poured out a glass for myself. I added the half and half, thyme, and cooked/stirred for 10 minutes.
- Finally, it was time! I added back the veggies, added the chicken, stirred and transferred to the baked pie crust.
- Topped it with the second crust in the package cut 6 slits from the center out. From here, bake the pie for 30 minutes then let sit.
This pie was incredibly hot- so it will need to sit for a while.
I ate on this pie and left overs for 3 days. IT WAS INCREDIBLE! I cannot wait to make it again, next time, I’ll take a photo of what the slices look like out of the pie.